Sunday, December 11, 2016

Shoud You Really Ask for Extra Credit?


        Anxiety has been my unwanted shadow for a few years now. It has prohibited me to do the things that I want and need to do. In class, because of my fear of being wrong and making a fool of myself, I would never ask questions. Talking to a teacher was not a choice for me. Although I am in college now and my anxiety is now somewhat non-existent, talking to professors can be somewhat intimidating depending on who it is. Ellen Bremen, in her blog Before You Demand What You Believe You Deserve, Ask Yourself These Questions, talks about the how-to’s and the what-not-to-do’s when talking to a professor about extra credit at the end of the year.

In her blog, Ellen Bremen discusses the “awakening” of college students at the end of the semester regarding their grades. They visit their professor’s offices or email them in masses in demand for better grades or extra credit (Bremen). Although Bremen comes across as discouraging to students to talk to their professors at the end of the semester, she still recommends that they should talk to them. However, Bremen advices college students to reflect on their true work ethic before talking to a professor, especially if you’re asking at the end of the semester, and provides a list of questions to think about. This “isn’t about blame” though, this is about reflecting on your performance and behavior in class. If you didn’t fill-in-the-blank during the semester, then you need an explanation. Bremen finishes the blog by reminding the reader to “see the bigger picture.” Grades are not all that is important in life. Breath. If the grade you got was that bad but you know you did not work your best, reflect on it and change your habits. Make it a learning experience rather than something to freak out about.

It seems like one of the most important things about talking to a professor is honesty. It may sound like Bremen wants you to blame yourself for your grade but that’s not the case. Being honest with your professor and maybe talking to them at the beginning of the semester might help. She references to the scenario when the student demand a higher grade because they need a 4.0 GPA for a scholarship. She responds with “Why am I just now hearing about this?” For future reference, if I know that I struggle in a particular subject, maybe I can go to my professor and ask how to succeed in their class. If on the syllabus and the calendar, I see extra credit, highlight it and make it a priority to turn it in. Things like this put one in a better position if by the end of the year you truly need extra credit.

Regardless of your academic standing, it is always good to know how to talk and ask questions to your professor. Bremen advices to ponder on your performance. Did you go to tutoring if you didn’t understand? Did you take advantage of earlier extra credit opportunities? Did you skip class or come to class late? These are questions a professor might consider when you ask for extra credit right before the semester ends. Knowing what to respond to a professor takes away a lot of the anxiety. Something that I worry about is coming out too arrogant and defensive. If you really think about your performance during the semester and then ask, the chances of sounding defensive are lowered. That is something that this blog cleared up for me, making me feel a bit more comfortable talking to (scary or stern) professors in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment