Sunday, December 11, 2016

What’s the Correct Path?

Celeste Rodela
Haven Abedin
English 1301-21013
December 10, 2016

      Art has always been my passion and even though my family is supportive about my love for art, they haven’t always been fans of doing it as a career because everyone has heard of the “Broke Artist” stereotype. Luckily, they were supportive enough to let me attend Booker T Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts for all four years of high school. Even though I excelled in my skills in my art classes, I wasn’t and still am not about what I want to do as a career, not only does that worry me but of course, my family too. I know I want to do something with design (art) but my family doesn’t think it’s a financially stable choice and bring up options like being a registered nurse, a job that pays well and will always be in demand. For now I’m attending Brookhaven Community College to do my basics and some art classes so I can hopefully figure out what I want to do in life without spending a ridiculous amount of money at a University or prestigious Art school. With only some support coming from my family I can definitely relate to the advice seeking student.
      The student doesn’t know what career path to take so he or she wants to start off in a community college but his or her family wants him or her to go to a University and the lifestyle they live, the parents choose his or her career to be financially stable. She or he doesn’t know what path to choose because she or he doesn’t want to be abandoned by his or her family. Breman starts off with apologizing for how the student feels but ensures him or her that he or she is not alone. She brings up how many students also feel that way. Breman decides to explore different options with the student. First, she suggests having a trusted teacher or guidance counselor to help consult the student the student about his or her feelings. She tells the student to really communicate with their family, particularly about the benefits of attending a community college and especially if she or he isn’t sure about what they want to major in. she then discusses how the student should visit a community college to discuss honors classes, financial aid and scholarships to talk about the benefits of each. This will also help with the students time worries because if she or he does his or her core classes at the community college his or her time and money won’t be wasted. Breman then brings up if the students’ parents are still disagreeing and what his or her last option could then be. She tells the student to look into his or her family’s options and “visit a university or two.’ She feels that the student should try to have more communication but also explore his or her options and actually speak to both type of school advisers.
      I think what I found the most helpful about Breman’s response was that she made sure the student had options like what he or she should do if they visit a community college and what he or she should discuss with the adviser or what they should do if they decided to visit a University, focusing in on the fact if they haven’t declared a major. I believe that’s a great option because that’s that situation I was going through in high school, I wish I would have read this article earlier because I decided to choose the community college course rout, which I’m glad I chose because its saved me a lot of money, it just would have been a great benefit to know I had other options.

       Breman did a good job of thoroughly explain what options to consider and what actions to take. I fell the student should now have an idea of what path to take and consider reading her feedback to his or her family and they might even look into both options themselves. I will definitely have to read this to my family and see if they think I chose the right path and maybe they’ll have more of an understanding of why I chose this path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment